CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Twinkie Place Value

Who doesn't like to eat in class. We are on our discovering numbers unit. The students answered word problems showing tens and ones on the Twinkies. All you need to do the activity is pretzel sticks (place value), gummies with large wholes (tens and ones), and a cake (holder). We only do tens and ones. SO we have 2 pretzel sticks with two different color gummies.
They got to use the MIMIO to read the problem and help them solve the problem. The picture looks exactly like their actually Twinkies and sticks.

They did a great job working together to illustrate the problem. They each had a job. One person had to get the tens, the other the ones, and the other had to form the number. Everyone was on task! OF course being able to eat it afterwards if they did their best had nothing to do with it....LOL!

5 comments:

  1. Super cute activity! I'm going to make a note of this and save it for next year.

    Takara
    thirstforfirst1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I love this!!
    http://www.luv2teachgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this activity! I am going to use it next year! :) Thanks for sharing.
    Sara

    http://firstgradefuntastic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so adorable. I love it. It is so clever.
    Fran@kindergarten crayons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute. I do something similar with fruit loops, pretzels sticks, and large marshmallows. My kids love anything with food involved. Check out my blog and come share with me. I just posted a marshmallow measurement activity a couple weeks ago.
    -Lauren
    www.weeklyhive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete